Friday, February 1, 2008

Concert Review: Girl Talk and Dan Deacon




I have been meaning to say a few words about last Saturday's Girl Talk/Dan Deacon show at the Metro and I am just now getting around to it. Sorry. But you know. School and work and laziness and all.

People like to say that Girl Talk isn't very good live. That is because these people are scared of having fun. No, Greg Gillis does not play a guitar or sing or do anything like that. For that matter, I don't think he does a whole lot with the laptop either. Fortunately, I am not one of those people who gets off on watching musicians playing instruments so I am able to enjoy the show anyway.

So the common complaint goes, "I could have just stayed at home and turned the album up really loud." Yes, you could. And the sound would probably be better. But you wouldn't have had a thousand people there all having a party together. That's the fun in it. It's a dance party. If you don't enjoy it for that you aren't going to enjoy it at all.

As for the music...he played a lot of new stuff. Apparently he has a double album's worth of material ready to go for the next release. He seems to have gotten deeper into the chopped-and-screwed sound. Other than that, same old same old. And that's just fine. UGK and Soulja Boy were among the stand outs. And of course lots of Clipse. I also really enjoyed the Grizzly Bear sing-along.

But I must say that this night was owned by Dan Deacon. He set up in the back of the Metro and from the opening sounds of "The Crystal Cat" the whole place started jumping. The highlight was probably when he led the crowd through a complex human tunnel/train routine. That's the best I can describe it. Oh wait...the best part was actually when he closed with a batshit "Wham City."

The only downside of Deacon's set is that I think it may have left the audience a little too beat to keep up the pace for Girl Talk's set. Also, just about every single girl was up on stage during Girl Talk which made for a good stage show but left quite a sausage fest in a crowd that was strangely heavy on Chads and Trixies. But still a great night.

Unfortunately, the ungodly line to get into the Metro prevented me from seeing opening act Lord of the Yum Yums. So it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can see how Chads and Trixies would have been a huge part of this show. Dance parties are wonderful, at the Metro, not so much. I was hurt and bruised after !!! - but it was an incredibly fun time. Wish I could have been there, blah, blah, you know. Glad to know Chicago is having fun, it would have been terrible to be there with an uptight crowd.