Friday, January 11, 2008

Rhymefest vs. Lupe Fiasco

The primaries are heating up and recently Lupe Fiasco and Rhymefest engaged in an online debate on the Democratic race. Lupe started the feud in an interview with SOHH.com where he sorta-endorsed Hillary Clinton and made a sorta-disparaging (and not quite true) remark about Obama. Rhymefest shot back via Myspace and then the argument spilled over onto the OkayPlayer message board.

What struck me as notable here is that neither of these artists defended their candidate based firmly on the issues. Each had philosophical reasons to support their candidate that had more to do with that candidate's demeanor and cultural significance than they did with the candidate's politics. Some will argue that this is an example of the ignorance of the American voter. Others may defend these as legitimate ways to look at an election. But I don't think it is much of a stretch to say that the group of people voting for a candidate based on a thorough investigation of his or her political views and history is a SIZABLE minority and the following comments demonstrate the significance that elected officials have outside of their particular politics.

Finally, the race card. The other day I attended a panel discussion on racism and classism in public schools. One of the panelists was Alex Kotlowitz, author of the brilliant There Are No Children Here. I felt that the most interesting thing he said that evening was that "African-Americans see the results of racism every day while most whites don't even believe it exists anymore." I think he was dead on in that statement and I think it has significance here. It seems that many whites are quick to criticize anyone who would vote for Obama just because he is black (or Clinton just because she is a woman for that matter) but African-Americans have many reasons to feel differently and those reasons are touched on in the following comments.

I would not endorse voting for a candidate based on their skin color or gender alone but I can understand some of the reasons others would. On a basic level a Black president would be a symbol of how far the race has risen in a short time in the face of a historically racist system. On a more personal level it gives millions of inner-city youth a positive role model to aspire to. How many children in the projects of Chicago grew up thinking the common phrase "you can grow up to do whatever you want" was a lie? A Black president sends a very powerful message of positivity into the inner city: YES I CAN.

Warning: This is long.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an interview with SOHH.com before the Iowa caucus, Lupe explained his political position by saying, "I'm not voting for anybody. I don't believe in voting on that level. But I want Hillary to win. Obama doesn't really impress me like that. It's not a shot at him but some of his agendas, the bombing of Iran and all that stuff.* He ain't gonna do nothing but perpetuate the nonsense that all the Presidents before have done, and what Bush is doing now."

SOHH.com modified his statement with the following footnote:

"[*Editors note: While all the major Democratic candidates--including Clinton, Obama and Edwards--say they would not remove military option off the table, when it comes to Iran, none have said they support the bombing of Iran.]"

Rhymefest's correction. Writing on his MySpace blog on January 5, Rhymefest clarified Obama's stance on Iran while, without calling him out by name, challenging Lupe to do better research on the matter:

"Barack Obama being the only black senator from Illinois automatically gives me a sense of pride and appreciation for his journey. Of course, for America to be flipped on its axis with a qualified woman President would be a significant milestone in this chapter of our country's history. But, I fail to see how a qualified Black man as President wouldn't be just as significant a milestone. Please, to all artists who dare to speak on political issues in this election: understand that Barack Obama won the Iowa caucus by inspiring more young people and women to vote than any previous Presidential candidate. How could it not be impressive to see the new Bobby Kennedy of our day in the White House?

"In the words of Gabriel when he revealed the Holy Qur'an to the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) in the cave: "READ." Please do not let your arrogance be the fuel for your ignorance."


Lupe (in response to whether or not he will respond to Rhymefest's original MySpace post):

"not in public...thats wack...I'll call him tomorrow...

...unless we devise a sinister under the table plot to faux battle each other furiously over the topic via youtube only to bring more attention to our projects then take the ill gotten booty and buy Phantoms with it that we will then proceed to drive in the homemade videos made of the diss records also to be debuted on youtube..."

Rhymefest:

"I'm responding to your post because you don't have my number.

Please fam...don't let some of these people on the boards get the situation twisted for you. I'm not dissing or coming at you on any level. In fact, I love the song "Go Go Gadget Flow" off of your new album, and I encourage everyone to purchase The Cool. Chitown is on the rise! However, Barack Obama also lives in Chicago, and at the very least we have to not put out information that is wrong or can be misconstrued by people on the outside OR the fans that love, listen, and follow what we say.

As a brother, all I'm asking you to do is tell the people that you really don't know what Barack Obama's position is on Iran, or at least not when you did the SOHH interview.

In my original post, I did not mention your name or the actual source of the interview. Just to let you know, my mission is not to down you, but to big up Barack Obama.

If you or anyone else supports any other candidates such as Hillary Clinton, Ron Paul, or whomever---I think that those are all fine candidates; I just find it irresponsible to tell untruths about any of them.

Lupe, please tell the people Barack Obama does NOT support bombing Iran."

Lupe:

"let me first reinforce my stance on national politics and the American System based on a mispractice and abomination of true democracy...

i have no faith in it...never have, never will...a mindset instilled at a very young age by a pro-active, Black Panther party promoting, revolutionary father and a very intellectual damn near anarchist mother with more than enough facts to back it up...

I've been around politics and politicians my whole life...

I say this to let you know first off I'm educated in the process...so much so that I dont agree with it..more importantly I wasnt out to slander Obama...If it was misinformation that I received then I apologize on behalf of the source but like I said I am still going back to recheck the validity of the source...if that is not his stance now then so be it...my opinion of Hillary being in Office over Obama is merely because she is a woman and I believe the act of a woman leading the strongest nation in the world will have unforeseen side effects and may act as a catalyst for change the world over more so than that of a black man...is that a fact? NO...does it even really matter? NO...they both still tow the line and champion the ideals of their respective party...which is flawed in its nature (The Party Line that is)...

I think that if I said all that in response to SOHH it might have been clearer that Lupe Fiasco doesnt even support the system as a whole so what he thinks of the candidates who are running to head it up isnt even relevant...maybe I'm wrong..maybe it will be the start of a renaissance that will change the face of the world and we will be blessed with Social Utopia or maybe my nigga got the blessing of the Iluminatti and is just meant to bring us one step closer to having a chip in our fucking heads...either way I'm good...

Blessings and Godspeed in your struggles for truth...

Salaam...

I'm still callin too!!! hahaha"

Rhymefest:

"First of all...

All praise IS due to God, and I thank God that we're able to have this type of dialogue ESPECIALLY in hip hop. However, I was not born into a political revolutionary family like you. My father was a crackhead alcoholic. My mother was 15 years old when I was born. I was raised around gang members. So personally, when I hear Barack Obama speak about hope and its audacity, that is a message that I can relate to.

Being raised on the Southside of Chicago under the conditions that many of us are subject to, I haven't had the opportunity to become desensitized to the political and social ramifications of a Black president. My brother, it does mean something. I don't believe that Barack Obama is the 'same ol' same'. Did you know that in a recent poll 69% of whites think it's possible for a Black president, while only 47% of Blacks thought it was? This suggests to me that our cynicism and disbelief will surely be the death of us.

I believe in Allah and all of his prophets. However, I believe God also sends messengers in the form of parents, community leaders, and yes---politicians. Barack Obama speaks against lobbyists and their influence on the political system and candidates. Did you know that his campaign was funded not by lobbyists with corporate agendas, but by individuals like you and I? Considering the millions that he has raised, a lot of individuals believe in the audacity of his hope.

Lupe, this can be a great moment for us; even though I know you don't have my number, I will still expect your call, LOL.

It seems to me as if you're not sure if change can or cannot happen. Our recent successes, and Barack's recent success in Iowa, is proof that with faith all things are possible."

LUPE:

"I admire your audacity in the face of your plights. My faith is where its supposed to be...with the Lord...

trust my opinoins are molded not alone by political thought and high discourse around the house...but also by niggaz getting shot in my hallway, hookers turning tricks in the stairways we played in and finding heroin needles while playing football in the front yard...crooked cops and crooked aldermans with a different gang on every block...that would be the westside my friend...it happened to all of us...so i look for beacons of hope as well and where I see it is not in the face of a politician in this day and age...Sadly and Happily I see it where it's always been...in the face of the people!!!...

I pray for change...and change will come...i dont know in what form...is it Obama? maybe...

God gave us the ability to have faith...He also gave us a brain...i like to use mine together sometimes...

Salaam..."

No comments: