Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Shut up Myspace!

I like it here a lot more than Myspace. I kept my Myspace account because I find it to be a valuable resource in terms of keeping in touch with people. It seems to be the best way to reach a lot of people because people tend to check their accounts A LOT. And I love that Myspace allows me to listen to tracks from practically any band I would want to listen to.

You know what I hate about Myspace? Bulletins. It's possible that occasionally somebody posts a bulletin with some kind of valuable information. Unfortunately, it most likely slid through the cracks between the endless clutter of surveys. If you are unaware of how these surveys work here is a brief explanation:

People post a bulletin with a headline something like "YO CHECK OUT NOTHER ONE!" or "LOLZ I'M SUCH A LOOSER HAHAHA!" or "IF YOU LIKE ME POST THIS OR YOUR CRUSH WON'T LIKE YOU ANYMORE!". Then when you open the bulletin you find a list of questions and answers about the person who posted it, kind of like:

1) What is your sexual orientation?
I'm a fagit...hahahahha LOLZ I'm straight of course!

2) Who is your crush? LOLZ...hahaha...not telling.

And so on and so forth...

Now I can understand getting really bored and filling these out once in a while. What gets me is that people do them OVER and OVER and OVER. And every time it has to be in bulletin form so that every one of their friends knows that they filled out another survey. Why?

On the most recent episode of Family Guy, Stewie made a comment that was somewhat disparaging of Myspace, but probably more so of the Myspace generation. I don't remember exactly what it was but it was something along the lines of "I even have a Myspace so everyone can see my favorite movies and songs and other things created by other people that show my originality." And I think that's just what it all boils down to. Myspace doesn't exist for communication or music listening or any of that. It's there to offer people, in this age of conformity and anonymity, an opportunity to show off their identity to the entire cyber world (or at least the people who are willing to read their surveys three times a day...I'm assuming these people are out there because the surveys continue.)

And I guess all of this is okay. I mean...this is coming from someone who takes great pride in letting people know what I've been listening to and reading so I don't suppose I can really sit in judgment of people who want to flaunt information about themselves. It's just...

...do you have to do it so much?

Okay...now that I've offended everyone (who am I kidding? Nobody is reading this. Which brings up another interesting point: I've been bitching and complaining about people filling out senseless surveys when I invest all this time in preparing a blog that nobody reads. Hmmm...this may have to wait till another day) how about something positive about Myspace...The Myspace Music Tour is coming to your town! (Well...it's coming to my town at least.) This show is going to be off the proverbial hook. March 20 at the Riviera, Justice, Diplo, and someone called Fancy will be playing. Well worth the...ugggh...38 dollars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stupid money.

And blah MySpace.

I am glad there are ways of avoiding spam and that certain users can be blocked, but you know my love/hate/hate relationship with it.

Also, no need to fill a survey, you know who my crush is. LOLZ.