Monday, May 26, 2008

Day 2

I have decided to do my blogging outside whenever possible. That is what I am doing right now. It was 83 degrees out today and now it is approaching sunset and perfect.

I am home now. The worst part about house-sitting was that I did not sleep very well this weekend. I think that I feel asleep fairly easily...but I can't tell. Usually I have music on when I go to sleep, so I am able to gauge in the morning how long it took me to fall asleep, based on what the last song I remember was. While in Naperville I did not listen to music, so I just kind of slipped into an abyss at some unspecified time. But the real problem is that I would wake up at about 5:30 and not be able to get back to sleep. It was very bright in the bedroom when the sun came up. And also the birds were extremely loud. And one morning the smoke alarm went off for some reason.

Today I received word of two deaths. This is maybe not the positive vibe I am going for here but it is what happened. The first was Jeremi Gonzalez who used to pitch for the Cubs. I saw this on the news just moments before Susana left a comment on my "Day 1" entry. If you are looking for an interesting first hand account of his death, go read the comment. He was struck by lightning. So it goes. The last time I saw Gonzalez pitch in person was when he was on Tampa Bay and he broke Sammy Sosa's bat, revealing the cork. (Don't quote me on this...I could be mistaken.) Anyway...it was just kind of interesting.

About half an hour ago my family got a phone call from London with word that my 85ish-year-old cousin Eugene passed away this morning. Eugene grew up in Poland and moved to England after the war. A few years back he began tracking down his distant relatives across the globe, including his family in America. After a little correspondence via mail, Eugene came to visit for two weeks last summer. It was a whirlwind trip as he got whisked around to visit relatives in Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Apparently he spoke very highly of his trip and his wife insisted that his son get in contact with Eugene's American relatives. So it goes.

There are two robins playing on my front lawn.

What else...today was Memorial Day. No big goings on. The weather was beautiful. I mowed the lawn. Got a little bit of work done...not much. And OH!

Today I discovered Flight of the Conchords. I know I am WAY out of the loop on this one, but those guys are hilarious. If you, like me, missed the boat on them, go look them up on YouTube IMMEDIATELY. It will bring joy to your Monday night. Particularly the gangsta rap track "Hiphopasaurus vs. Rhmenocerous."

And CUBS WIN! Another good day...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's business time

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your cousin - that is beautiful that he had the courage not only to track family down but also to cross the pond in order to meet them! What a great thing to do!

I remember when Steve Irwin died and you hated me for being the first one who told you, what can I say, I am awake most of the time.

I love your enthusiasm for this summer, it makes me wish so badly I were there to enjoy it too - and to do something news worthy or at least pitchfork-youtube-clip worthy :)

There are seagulls on the trees that I can see from my window, that is perfect too, so we are both having fun in the sun.