Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 5

This will be a brief post. I need to get some sleep. But I would not feel right if I broke my 101 Day promise. And I'm not sure I will have Internet access tomorrow and Saturday. But never fear. A promise is a promise...if I am unable to log on you will hear from me three times in rapid succession on Sunday night.

Today I spent (nearly) the entire day finishing my work for one of the worst classes I have ever taken. It is a word-finding class. Supposedly we learn how to work with children who struggle to find appropriate language in the midst of a conversation or when asked questions. I had high hopes for the class...but the professor didn't pan out so well. 100 percent of the material we learned in the class was nothing more than her personal methodology. She sold us both of her books, totaling well over one hundred dollars. She nit picked and cut points on everyone's assignments (including mine until I found the key...copy her book word-for-word.) And her web-based syllabus is one of the most disorganized jumbled-up messes I have ever seen. Every time I think I am done with everything I discover some other ridiculous detail that is hidden in some corner of the webpage instead of in the class assignments list. To overcompensate I wrote one of the most organized papers I have ever written, complete with a table of contents! And you know what else I did? By my table of contents I put next to each content, in parenthesis, how many points that section is worth on her grading rubric. If she is going to dock me points for something I did not do I am damn well going to have proof that she is docking me for something that is not on the rubric.

ANYWAY...she can do what she wants because I am done now and feeling good. And I don't want to hate on anyone too much on this blog. It is a happy blog. I just wish she would go do two hour seminars at schools or something because being a grad school professor is something she is not very good at. And tomorrow I will go to work for three hours, drop my final paper in the mail, and then leave for Paul's bachelor party in Green Bay. It should be a great day. And a great weekend.

But let's find some things that went well today...

I went back to my school in Downers Grove and handed out P.E. awards today. And they gave me free lunch. And then they suckered me into taking the kids to recess. But that was okay because I got to play basketball. I love playing basketball with middle school kids because it is maybe the only time in my life when I have been a good basketball player. I get all show-offy. You should see it.

Also they gave me a 20 dollar gift certificate to Chipotle for my birthday! Woot!

And I took a study break right before the Cubs game to go to Chipotle and use my gift card. And I bought a burrito bowl and some chips and guacamole. Then Krissy ate a bunch of my chips. But that was my fault for not eating them right away I guess.

And the Cubs won. Four in a row.

So looking back, even though I was busy, it wasn't the worst day in the world. I worked with the windows open and there was a nice breeze. I didn't have to work. I listened to music all day. And I half-heartedly watched the Cubs game.

And now my class is over....YAY!!!

No comments: