Friday, March 14, 2008

First Round: Pitchfork vs. Toast



PITCHFORK

Seed: 3

Overview: The popular music web-zine was founded Ryan Schreiber who, sick and tired of being told what to listen to by Rolling Stone and MTV, decided that HE should be the one to tell people what to listen to.

Pros: Makes fun of bad bands that think they are good like Louis XIV, Jet, and Ghostland Observatory (okay, I admit, I've never listened to Ghostland Observatory. But I take Pitchfork's word for it.)

Cons: Have to be careful reading it at work (those damn American Apparel ads border on NSFW when you work in a first grade classroom.)

Outlook: Everyone will vote for Pitchfork but nobody will admit to voting for Pitchfork. Personally...good but not great...I give them a 7.9...Recommended.




TOAST

Seed: 14

Overview: I tip my hat to the person who invented toast. In fact, I just had me a couple pieces half an hour ago...ironically while reading Pitchfork's South by Southwest reviews. Buttered or dry, pumpernickel or rye, it's all good...except with marmalade because marmalade is fucking gross.

Pros: Name three people who dislike toast. That's what I thought.

Cons: Name three people who religiously check on their toast several times a day and consult it before trips to the record store. That's what I thought.

Outlook: Toast is a big underdog here, but is certainly a Cinderella contender. I mean...come on...who doesn't like toast?

No comments: