Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 41

So Fourth of July actually turned out pretty enjoyable despite the fact that we ended up staying home. It didn't start out so awesome. There was a lot of boredom early on, though I did go to Borders and buy the Fleet Foxes album. I am going to see them the night before the Pitchfork Festival begins at a free festival preview show at Millennium Park. This works out nicely because I'm not going to be able to catch them at the festival itself since I will not be attending Saturday.

Here are the people who came over to my house on the Fourth of July: Paul and Krissy (obviously), my old friend JR (who I hadn't seen in four years) and his fiancee (who I had never met), my cousins Ken and Erin, and my friend Jose. Most people showed up between five and six. We fixed some corn and hot dogs on the grill and also had potato salad, and deviled eggs, and pickles, and olives, and chips, and salsa, and the like. We also drank Dr. Pepper like we were in high school. I was all jittery after awhile.

It was especially nice to see JR. He is getting married in September and his wedding should be a lot of fun since there will be a lot of old friends together. His fiancee seems really cool and funny. She told a story about her pet pig that went on for about ten minutes and made me laugh so hard I cried. They ended up hanging around after everyone left until about 3 AM. We talked about all the devious things we did in high school. It was just like old times.

The fireworks were also very nice. They fire them off right behind my house. Usually I watch the fireworks in the pool but this year the water in the pool is just too cold since we just opened it last week. And the air was pretty cold for that matter as well. Ty Warner puts on our fireworks display and it is always much nicer than you would expect for Westmont.

And the Cubs won.

No comments: