Monday, July 21, 2008

Day 57

Sunday was the final day of the Pitchfork Music Festival. And it was a GREAT day.

It started with me dragging myself out of bed at 10 AM. After a long day yesterday and getting home at 12:30 it was sort of tough. But I gotta be a rock star on Pitchfork weekend. And there is Sparks at Union Park!

So I was up. And I was going to fix a big breakfast. But there were no eggs in the house for just about the first time ever. So I ate these little link things that come in a can and taste good. Then I left the house at about 11:20.

I got down to the park a little after noon. Met up with friends and acquaintances and chatted and told everyone how awesome Rock the Bells was yesterday and how terrible the First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre was. Then the show started.

I listened to the first few bands of the day from afar. I was just too tired and too hot to hang out up front for bands I am not really all that into. The first band to play was Times New Viking. I recognized one of their songs. Next was Dirty Projectors. They are those ones who do all those Black Flag songs all slow and quiet like. They sounded okay. Then was Boris. They played some Japanese metal and then they blew a speaker or something so the show ended early.

The first band that I actually got up and went to see was Apples in Stereo. This is a great band and they made me happy on a sunny afternoon. They opened their set with "Can You Feel It" and ended up playing quite a bit from that album, which is nice because it is the only one I have.

I decided to check out a little bit of King Khan's set. I listened to a couple songs and they were really fun. Then I left to go see Les Savy Fav, who were really high on my list for the day. For some reason I had a really tough time getting into them, which was odd because they put on a real energetic show. I guess I was probably just a little bit too far back to really appreciate it. I ended up going back to camp and wishing I had stayed at King Khan.

So after a little more chillaxin' it was 6:00 and time for the Ghostface and Raekwon set over at that small stage. Ghost and Rae were supposed to be on a main stage but for some reason they ended up having to switch times and stages. Biggest shock of the day was that they went on stage right at their scheduled start time. And they were predictably awesome. They played a TON of Wu-Tang stuff, mostly off 36 Chambers, along with a bunch of Only Build 4 Cuban Linx and solo Ghostface. And the sound was SO much better than any of the sets I saw yesterday. Plus, they played a FULL HOUR!

And they got done just in time for Spiritualized! I really thought I was going to end up missing Spiritualized but the stars aligned and thank goodness because this was probably the best set of the day. I had assumed they were going to do an artsy fartsy acoustic set like they did at Coachella, but instead they played with a full band with back up singers and everything! Full sound, very tight set. Just awesome...

And then I killed more time. Ate some food. Chatted. Listened to Dinosaur Jr. from afar. Then Spoon went on. I wandered forward and then wandered back because ONCE AGAIN I was not feeling Spoon's set. They just don't do it for me in a live setting. Then I walked through some mud. Then I decided to go check out the end of Cut Copy.

When I got to Cut Copy's stage I realized that Cut Copy was not on stage. Instead it was Bradford Cox from Deerhunter, King Khan, and Jay Reatard playing a bunch of rock songs all sloppily in their best superjam form. Turns out Cut Copy was stuck at the airport and these guys were filling in.

But then Cut Copy showed up. And holy hell did they ever show up! They ended up only getting twenty minutes but in that twenty minutes they melted everyone's faces. The whole crowd was jumping and dancing and singing, every single hand in the air.

LIGHTS AND MUSIC!

And then it was home.

No comments: