Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 55

Opening night of the Pitchfork Music Festival...

I got there about 5:30 and chatted with some friends. Mission of Burma took the stage at 6PM. I really like MoB but I am not familiar with Vs, which is the album they performed tonight. But it sounded great.

Instead of listening to Sebadoh I elected to stake out a spot for Public Enemy. Sebadoh sounded all right. Not really my thing. I spent the time talking mostly.

Before Public Enemy came out their production crew, The Bomb Squad put on a DJ set. It was pretty tight and got the crowd hyped for PE. What bothered me was that when they finished their set the music died and we waited five minutes or so for Public Enemy. It just sort of seemed that they should have burst onto the stage and built on all the hype the Bomb Squad built. But that is just a minor complaint.

So Public Enemy...not much I can say. They were amazing. They were about a million times better than I expected them to be. Some may make fun of some of Flav's antics but I thought he was absolutely hilarious tonight. Chuck is a fierce rhymer but on stage he looks like he is having a blast. In general it amazes me how a group with so much political rage can be so unpretentious and happy on stage.

Well that's all for now...the full PE review is coming to Consequence of Sound pretty soon. As soon as I get my thoughts straight.

PEACE

No comments: