Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 19

So this is yesterday's entry. Something happened that kept me from blogging last night. And that something was...

A BLACKOUT! Yes, the power went out between the hours of 8 PM and Midnight. That's four hours of no power. So I was unable to blog. Then the power came back on at midnight but I didn't feel like blogging.

The down side of the power being out was that I was unable to finish the things I needed to accomplish. Well, actually I really could have done them anyway. The Bishop cranked up the generator and that was enough to power the lights in the family room and the tv and the refrigerator and freezer and stuff. But, you know, once the tv was on we decided to watch The Office on demand. And eat pie. And freeze pops. So yeah...thanks to the power outage I didn't do any homework last night.

What I did do is play some basketball. I started shooting around and all of a sudden there were about twenty little kids in my driveway shouting PASS IT PASS IT OVER HERE OVER HERE! So I did. I don't even know who all these kids were. There was a kid name Qati who kept slapping everyone on the ass and making obscene gestures. Have to keep an eye on that kid.

Right before the power went out I was at the gas station and a dude asked me for some cash and I gave him ten bucks. Apparently he was stranded with this wife and son (and I did see them in the car.) They ran out of gas and were just trying to get home. Or maybe he was a panhandler. But I took his word for it. I figure even if it is all just a ruse to get some cash he could probably use the money.

So that is what I do now. I give money to strangers when they ask. And I don't say this because I want everyone to pat me on the back or anything. It's just what I've decided I should do and this blog is where I am voicing this type of thing lately so here is where I mention it. Maybe I am too fast to give money away but I think most people are too slow. Giving money to people on the street is one of the few altruistic actions that people actually get PISSED at you about. It produces all kinds of glares and tongue lashings about, "He's just going to buy drugs" or "Now he's always going to be hanging around here", like he's a fucking duck or something. But in all honesty, if he runs off to find his dealer, so be it. Dude said he needed money and I took his word for it. If he is lying, that's on him, but I did my part.

ANYWAY...the rest of the day was fairly uneventful. Ate at Chipotle. Watched the Cubs game. Considered my homework. Went to class. Brought a sub home. Fed the cats. All the usual.

I'll be back later tonight with today.

No comments: