Monday, June 2, 2008

Day 9

Today was pleasantly uneventful. It was also pleasantly warm. I worked about five hours this afternoon/evening. I was supposed to have a meeting for one of my kids. I showed up and the meeting had been canceled so I ended up working with him instead. And he was pissed about that. And I wasn't terribly thrilled. So with about 45 minutes left in our session I said, "Screw it, let's go to Burger King." And I bought him a shake. So I'm sure that left him nice and sugared up for his parents.

And my other kid was absolutely priceless today. He seemed especially autistic, bolting across the room every thirty seconds to rearrange toys and such. And he was working on a subtraction worksheet but was struggling to get through a problem without wandering off somewhere. So I would redirect him. And then one time I decided I wasn't going to redirect him. Here is what followed:

"Hi Mr. Mike! Hi Mr. Mike! Hi Mr. Mike! Hi Mr. Mike! Mr. Mike! (shaking arm) Hi Mr. Mike! Hi Mr. Mike! Lift up your mouth Mr. Mike! Hi Mr. Mike! Hi Mr. Mike! (tickling me) Hi Mr. Mike! Mr. Mike! Wah! (fake cry) (tickling) Hi Mr. Mike! Mr. Mike! Move your mouth Mr. Mike! (grabbing jaw) Talking Mr. Mike! Hi Mr. Mike! Hi Mr. Mike! Mr. Mike! Mr. Mike! Do some work Mr. Mike! Mr. Mike!"

And so forth, until I finally could not keep from laughing anymore. Then he won.

Then we rode bikes to the park and wouldn't you guess his horn fell off his bike. He seemed to be missing a piece and I couldn't get it back on. So he screamed the whole way home from the park.

So that was my day. I ate a lot of Flav-or-ices today too. Those may be one of my favorite parts of summer. I love how you can just keep eating them forever and never get full. And they are just so unbelievably refreshing.

And the Cubs have won eight in a row.

And tomorrow is my birthday. Yay me.

No comments: