Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day 35

So my first day home. What do I do? I jump back in the car at 9 AM and go to Michigan. I had other things I considered doing today like going to church, going to a barbecue, or seeing Stevie Wonder at Taste of Chicago. But I have not seen my grandparents in quite a while and the next few weekends are packed so I decided it would be a good time to go.

The real story was that Dzia Dzia wanted to go out on the boat with the Coast Guard. Yes, my 76-year-old grandfather is the one keeping the coasts of Michigan safe from an Illinois invasion. And Babcia can't stay alone, what with the dementia and all. So I was going to spend the day with her so that he could do the whole Coast Guard thing.

I actually picked Babcia up at Krissy's house in Kalamazoo. We went and got some food at Olga's. Of course anywhere with Babcia is an ordeal. Everything is about money. "We can't do that. It costs money. Don't waste your money on me. I don't have any money to give you. Gas!"

And then we sat for a while. We took another ride. We sat. Babcia talked about eggs. Etc.

I stayed at Krissy's house. She wasn't there. So I had the place to myself. That was nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My summer has been fun too... I promise I will read all of your anecdotes as soon as I can catch my breath

xo

Anonymous said...

you had to say olgas.
now i will be lusting after the taste of olga's food all day.
btw, did you know they canceled their dipping sauces off the menu? don't worry - they still have the snackers. and curly fries.